The story of Fertin Pharma begins in the early part of the 20th century
Fertin Pharma was set up in 1978 as a Dandy Group subsidiary to undertake research and development into chewing gum as a drug delivery system on the basis of Dandy’s extensive chewing gum expertise.
But to understand the complete story of our family-owned company and our chewing gum heritage, we need to start a century ago in a small factory in Vejle, Denmark.
- In 1915, Holger Sørensen founds Vejle Caramel- og Tabletfabrik. The company was later renamed Dansk Tyggegummi Fabrik A/S
- The company’s first chewing gum, “Vejle Tyggegummi”, is introduced to the market in 1927
- In 1939, the brand name Dandy appears for the first time. Dandy was later to become the main company of the Bagger-Sørensen Group
- The existing factory on Dandyvej, Vejle, opens in 1972
- In 1978, the Swedish company Fertin, known for their V6 chewing gum, is acquired by the Bagger-Sørensen Group
- Fertin Pharma initiates the production of nicotine chewing gum in 1996
- In 2000, Fertin Pharma introduces the world’s first coated nicotine chewing gum. Coating of nicotine chewing gum has since then been the industry standard
- Fertin Pharma A/S is established as a subsidiary of Bagger-Sørensen & Co. A/S in 2001. A year later, Dandy and the brands Stimorol and V6 are sold to Cadbury Schweppes (now Mondelez).
- In 2004, the patented multi-layered compressed chewing gum technology (Medichew®) is introduced
- Fertin Pharma’s brand new state-of-the-art and FDA-approved factory opens in 2004. The factory produces nicotine chewing gum for the US market.
- In 2011, Fertin Pharma opens an R&D center in Mumbai, India
- In 2013 Fertin Pharma upgrades the existing GMP approved factory to a state-of-the-art factory for the European market
- In 2014, Fertin Pharma establishes the Nicotine Science Center. The center’s aim is to enable the development of more effective Nicotine Replacement Therapy products in order to increase the success rates for tobacco cessation
- Fertin Pharma establishes nicotine chewing gum manufacturing facility in Goa, India. The 2200 sq mtr, state-of-the-art facility features a dedicated production area, Quality Control Lab and a Microbiology Lab for the manufacture and testing of medicated chewing gum in compliance with cGMP. The Indian facility will supply products to the domestic market with future plans for export to emerging markets. Commercial manufacturing commences March 2016 .
- EQT Mid Market (Private Equity) acquires Fertin Pharma; Bagger-Sørensen family re-invests for 30% shareholding